Monday, September 4, 2017

Down time or so you think by Paty Jager

I recently finished a first book in a new series and jumped right into the next book of my mystery series, with the goal of getting it written in a month. It is possible, I can write enough words every day to get it done.

The problem is keeping the other stories bouncing around in my head at bay. Writers know what I'm saying. If you aren't a writer, think of a time in your life, like maybe you are going to have family visiting for a week at Thanksgiving or Christmas. Every night when you lay down to go to sleep or as you are driving somewhere or walking the dog or watching your kids play- all the things you need to do to prepare for their visit and the big day keeping popping into your head. Which should I do first? How should I arrange where people sleep? Who can I get to help me prepare meals? What are we going to do with loud uncle Merv when the babies are trying to nap? How much toilet paper do I need to have on hand with that many people in the house? If we have tuna fish sandwiches for lunch one day, how many cans of tuna do I need?

Most nights while trying to sleep and as I am driving long distances (which I do often living in the boonies) I have stories with as inane questions as above running through my head. These questions might be... Did I tie up all the loose ends in the book now with CPs? Should I make the next amateur sleuth a woman or a man? Who is going to own the isolated ranch - the female or male character? Who should be the next heroine in the next Saloon book? Did I give just enough and not too much information to give clues to the murder without giving it away? How can I make a prequel with a romance for a character who needs to be single for his own book? How do I tie my Silver Dollar Saloon series to Deadwood for a story going into a book for a cause? When do I need to change some things on my website? Did I do the right wording for an ad? Can I swing another conference? What the heck am I thinking trying to write so many series?
Stephanie Berget, me, Mary Vine

I went away for the weekend to sell books and enjoy the Blue Mountains of Oregon. I stayed in a 10 x 16 cabin with another writer and we sat all day long for three days with another writer. There wasn't down time. We talked writing, the business of writing, the life of being a writer and several other things, but 80% of the time it was about writing.

For those who think writing is  a hobby, think again., Writing is whole different mind set and when we had some people come up and mention they were writers we encouraged them to join writing groups either in person or online because, as all writers have learned, there is nothing as validating as getting in with a group of writers and finding out there are others who have the same voices in their heads and we aren't all crazy!



Paty Jager is an award-winning author of 32+ novels, novellas, and anthologies of murder mystery, western romance, and action adventure. All her work has Western or Native American elements in them along with hints of humor and engaging characters. This is what Mysteries Etc says about her Shandra Higheagle mystery series: “Mystery, romance, small town, and Native American heritage combine to make a compelling read.”



blog / websiteFacebook / Paty's Posse / Goodreads / Twitter / Pinterest
 

3 comments:

Sarah Raplee said...

On the bright side, we are seldom bored! Where did you go to sell books, Paty? I hope it wasn't smokey from wildfires.

Diana McCollum said...

Everything you said is so true! I have different ideas, genres, plots all floating through my brain. Great post!

Judith Ashley said...

Paty, Are you sure we aren't crazy? How do we know for sure...ah, there is comfort in numbers - lol. All joking aside, it is comforting to have people in our lives who are "like us". I was reminded of that this past weekend at a women's retreat when a newcomer said she didn't know there were other women like her out there in the world. Knowing we are not alone is a gift that writer organizations give to there members. And in the case of you, Stephanie and Mary - the gift you gave other writers who stopped to chat.